Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup (Found online by Tiffany Stringham)

I found this recipe online, and it's wonderful. I was having the hardest time finding something that sounded good for dinner and this is what I found. Don't remember where I found it, but my family really enjoyed it, and as I wrote down the recipe, I found the nutrition info as well and thought hey if this is good, we can put it on the blog. One thing that I have to admit that I love love love about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and put it in the fridge for up to 2 days! How exciting! I think that is awesome! Just make it as instructed below, only leave out the tortilla crisps until ready to serve! Tada! You gotta like that! So, if you know you are going to have a busy day, plan ahead and on your less busy day prepare this meal and grab it out of the fridge heat and in about 10 min. flat you have a tasty meal! Hope you enjoy it. Quick and yummy! Let me know if you try it what you think.

Makes 4 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
-4 soft corn tortillas cut in 1-2 inch strips
-1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
-1 pound chicken breast diced
-3 cups bell pepper. (the recipe calls for frozen, I prefer fresh)
-1 pkg onion soup mix
-1TBSP ground cumin
- 2 -14 ounce cans chicken broth. (I use chicken bouillon cubes)
-1 -15 ounce can diced tomatoes
-1/4 tsp ground pepper
-2 TBSP lime juice
-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I don't use this because I don't like cilantro)
-3/4 cup reduced fat Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese-shredded (I used Cheddar)

Spread tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 until lightly browned about 10-12 minutes. Heat oil over medium high heat add chicken and cook until starting to brown 3-4 minutes. Take out chicken with slotted spoon to help drain oil. Add peppers, onion mix, and cumin to your oil and cook until pepper are starting to brown about 4 minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, pepper and lime juice, bring to a simmer and cook stirring frequently until veggies are tender about 3 minutes. Add the chicken back in and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and if desired stir in cilantro. Serve topped with toasted tortilla strips and cheese. Yum!

Here is the part that is exciting to me. I know how much I am consuming with this meal, so I can be sure that I am eating healthy!

Nutrition Info!
-357 Calories/sering
-12 g. fat
-5 g. saturated fat
-4 g. monounsaturated fat
-87 mg cholesterol
-24 g carbohydrate
-37 g protein
-4 g fiber
-603 mg sodium

A little side note, I will try to remember where I got it from next time, so that I can give credit where credit is due. Also, please remember that if you leave out an item or change an item, for example I use bouillon cubes instead of canned chicken broth, it will change the nutrition info just a bit, so take that into account. Also, remember that a serving size is about 1 1/3 cups. So pay attention to how much you eat because that will also change the nutrition info if you eat more or less. We had a fresh spinach salad with carrots and cucumbers as a side and had applesauce as a desert! It really was good!

1 comment: